> This isn't muddling implemenation with language design.  The language design
> says mutual recursion is OK. A particular implementation supporting separate
> compilation will typically require a variety of "help", such as a Makefile
> with accurate dependencies.  Requiring type signatures, or interface files,
> or whatever is just another implementation specific thing to support
> separate compilation.

The language design should at least say what is a legal Haskell file,
and what is not.  As much as possible, it should lay out exactly what
I need to do to write a program that will work on any Haskell compiler
that conforms to the definition.  It seems to me that the language
definition should go further than it does on this point, though
perhaps reasonable people may disagree.  -- P