Simon L Peyton Jones wrote:

> I think the report has it about right.
>
> * A conforming implementation of Haskell 1.4 must support mutually recursive
>   modules.  That is, a collection of individually legal mutually recursive
>   modules is a legal Haskell program.

Well, this is not clear from the current wording.

If that is really the intent, I suggest you change the wording.

> * The Report recognises that implementations available in the forseeeable
>   future are likely to require the programmer to supply extra type
>   information to support separate compilation of mutually recursive modules.
>   For example, the implementation may require exported functions to be
>   equipped with type signatures.

If implementations require me to fiddle around with interface files,
well, OK -- I might not like it, but that is just a quality-of-implementation
issue.  But if the implementations require me to change the source code,
then they're implementing a different language.

--
Fergus Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.