On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Matthew Donadio wrote:

> With the recent talk about scientific computing in Haskell, I decided to
> start converting my DSP and digital comm. libraries to Haskell (I was
> also home sick the other day and had some free time).  I have created a
> rather Spartan web page about the venture:
>
> http://users.snip.net/~donadio/mpd-hs-dsp.html
>
> There are a few GPL'ed literate Haskell modules there.  I have done
> preliminary testing with Hugs 1.4, but there may still some remaining
> bugs.

        Way to go, Matthew. We need more of this sort of work
        published to demonstrate that Haskell is not only about
        itself.:-)
        I hope others would follow suit and show some of their
        reaches kept hidden in their coffers. It is only by
        exchanging ideas and by trial and error that a resonably
        usable and consistent library of DSP could be built.

        I was planning to try similar things you have mentioned
        on your page, such as interfacing to "the fastest FFT in
        the West" (FFTW) via GreenCard, and it pleases me to know that
        you have decided to give Haskell a second chance as well.
        (I am referring here to one of your previous posts.)

        By the way, are you aware of Cilk - a multithreading
        parallel programming model based on Ansi C (from the
        same group that invented FFTW)?
        I think that this, or other multithreading approaches,
        should be seriously considered when attempting to interface
        Haskell to C. Think about data presentation running
        in a separate thread. After all the amount of input
        or output data tend to be quite large in this sort
        of applications. You might find it useful to see
        my page http://www.numeric-quest.com/lang/nq_proxy.html
        about using LinuxThreads with thread-unsafe library,
        EZWGL.

        Jan