> No, but they ARE, assuming IEEE arithmetic,

which is what the Report says, isn't it.

> discrete mathematical objects with an arithmetic as well
> defined as that on the integers.  To do constant folding
> according to different rules is, IMHO, outrageous.

yes

> Surely this is obvious to Haskell programmers?

to me, anyway.  If two runs (with different flags) of the
compiler produce programmes that give different results,
then one of them isn't adhering to the standard, (and so
should be noted as such).

--
Jón Fairbairn                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
18 Kimberley Road                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]