On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, George Russell wrote:
> What you need for that is SUPPORT, for example, to ensure that things
> still work when Haskell changes.  This is difficult to guarantee in
> an academic environment.
But the success of a language will depend on the quality of the libraries,
too. If we cannot figure out a way to supply Haskell with working
libraries, the language itself won't reach outside the academic world. It
even takes a long time to figure out what a specific library is up to and
if it's complete etc. Even if the academic staff can only give marginal
support for their libraries due to their lack of time, it still might be
sensible to mark libraries as "complete" (Is this a candidate for our
application?) or even "Haskell 98 compliant" (Will the library compile
with future versions of GHC/HBC?).

Cheers,
Axel.