On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:06 AM, Jacob Atzen wrote:

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 03:41:10PM +0200, Jacob Atzen wrote:
This lead me to the question: Are there any scientific empirical studies of the values of static / stronger type systems as found in Haskell, C#
or Java in real world settings? Or any studies comparing weaker type
systems in terms of programmer efficiency, defect ratio, etc.

I have been unable to find any such studies as it supposedly is "common knowledge" that strong type systems are of great value. Additionally the people I have asked the question was not aware of any such studies, so
now I'm trying this list.

I still have not been able to find any studies on the subject even after
trawling the ppig conference archives.

The following article might be relevant.

@string{TSE    = "{IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering}"}

@ARTICLE{PT98,
  author = {Prechelt, L. and Tichy, W.~F.},
title = "{A Controlled Experiment to Assess the Benefits of Procedure Argument Type Checking}",
  journal = TSE,
  volume = 24,
  number = 4,
  year = 1998,