Ketil Malde wrote:

+1 to renaming the new base, and have 'base' be a compatibility
package incorporating 'containers', 'array', etc, with compatible
interfaces. (Versioning isn't as good, I think, because it's too
common to specify just 'base' without any version.  At least, I know I
do.)

There's currently no (easy) way to make a package that just re-exports the contents of other packages. I've been thinking about ways to do this recently, but I'm now convinced that adding direct support to Cabal and the rest of the packaging infrastructure to do this is the wrong way. I'll try to write down my thoughts and post it sometime.

Cheers,
        Simon