Peter da Silva <pe...@taronga.com> wrote:
It's not the OS, it's the window system and applications.

Ok, there's varying definitions of OS. I was including the window
system, not meaning just the kernel.

So Gnome apps work well with Gnome apps, and KDE apps work well with KDE
apps

Gnome and KDE seem to interoperate fairly well these days, getting
better all the time. And on Linux there's not much reason to use any
other GUI apps, so that pretty much covers it. All that other stuff is
legacy crap.

The Mac is the only credible platform that has the advantage of a
fascist developer that was willing to break apps that did their own
thing, and that has attempted to support i18n from an early stage. So
I can call a file "久石譲 ката
лог" or "떳다!! 그녀!!.mp3" and while many
UNIX apps are unhappy with it (which is why I'm less than enamored of
UTF8, sometimes breaking everything is what you need to do and making
the whole system UCS-4 (or at least UCS-2) would make it a LOT easier
to transition these apps to the New World Order) it does come up in
Terminal:

[absinthe:~] peter% touch "久石譲 кат
алог"
[absinthe:~] peter% file "久石譲 кат
алог"
久石譲 каталог: e
mpty

Works fine for me on linux too. Missing those characters in the fixed
font though (and the first couple in my normal font too).

As to weird characters in filenames, all my CD collection is ripped on
Linux, and there's plenty of classical and world music with all sorts
of weird characters, which are all entered correctly and present in the
filenames. I've yet to have a problem with a program on Linux/Gnome
which doesn't work with them. Even the shell and xterm.

The only grief I've had actually comes when I try to copy them onto the
music player, which of course is FAT32, that doesn't grok them. I have
a small shell script to do the copying for me which fixes that up.

Cheers,

Martin.