* Jeremy Weathers <j...@drab.org> [2005-10-26T19:08:08]
> > didn't line up.  Why?  Because fi is a kernable letter pair, of
> > course! Lining up columns is nice and all, but it just doesn't
> > compare to the awesomeness of having your f dot your i!
>
> Actually, the combined "fi" is called a ligature. Kerning is adjusting
> the space between letters.

And if you have an f and an i and want them to look like a ligature, you
kern them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligature_(typography)#Kerning_as_an_alternative
in fact helpfully reminds us that,

        The fonts for the Macintosh computer include a "dotless 'i'", which
        (aside from its necessity in printing Turkish) facilitates kerning
        "fi" and "Ti" instead of using a ligature.

> I also have Safari 2.0.1 (412.5) and for me the letters line up. There
> must be some difference in default mono-spaced font (mine appears to be
> Courier 13) or some other utility that is replacing the letters with
> that ligature on your system and not on mine. (It may be on my end, but
> I have no idea what it would be.)

Now I'm even angrier!

--
rjbs