David Champion wrote:
* On 2006.05.21, in <pine.lnx.4.58.0605212232230.32...@culain.madstop.com>,
*       "Luke Kanies" <l...@madstop.com> wrote:
If you use Slackware, you get what you deserve, but I defy you to somehow
find Debian more execreble than FreeBSD.

I'd really like to, since you're defying, but I've buried those
memories deep.  We'll have to settle for "yup, did that."

I guess I should have added a "now" on the end there.

and whose model can be used on other OSes?  Sure, anyone can write a one-off
imperative script for any OS; but I contend that if you had to write a
single tool that could treat any set of, say, three operating systems
equally, then you would find FreeBSD to be the most difficult to model
successfully.

Which are the other two?

Solaris and Debian, if I get to pick. I'd recommend HP-UX and OS X if you're trying to make FreeBSD win (I never did find an automated way to reboot HP-UX nicely), but at least both of those OSes have a real concept of a service.

--
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft! -- Theodore Roosevelt
Luke Kanies | http://reductivelabs.com | http://madstop.com