Peter da Silva <pe...@taronga.com> wrote:
On May 22, 2006, at 2:55 AM, Martin Ebourne wrote:
Then it
installs using my normal package manager and is handled just like a
distro package. I've never seen any other OS I could do that on in less
than 4 steps.

FreeBSD:
# vi /sys/i386/conf/CONFIGNAME
# config CONFIGNAME
# cd /sys/compile/CONFIGNAME
# make install

Tru64:
# vi /usr/sys/conf/CONFIGNAME
# echo n | doconfig -c CONFIGNAME
# cp /usr/sys/CONFIGNAME/vmunix /vmunix

That doesn't seem to be the same thing at all. Sure, you've reconfigured and rebuilt the kernel.

But you've not ended up with a package install which can be usefully tracked on your machine. Let alone installed on a different machine (what, you have a compiler on every machine?). And have dependencies managed for you as well.

Any unix can do configure && make install, great.

The instructions I gave produce an RPM package every bit as complete and reusable as the original vendor one, which from a position of managing multiple machines (or even just reliably managing one) is a totally different result.

Cheers,

Martin.