Fellow haters,

Since it's been a week or so without any hate, I thought I'd express my hatred of the GTK+ file selection dialog. Not only does it lock up Firefox for 2 minutes when I try to choose a program to open a file with from /usr/bin, but its filename completion is sketchy at best. Say I want to upload a file to some site from /usr/share/cool-stuff, and I start typing the directory I want in the dialog. Sometimes (this happens randomly as far as I can tell) the dialog will perform auto-expansion, so if I'm not paying attention and typing quickly the directory box will contain '/usr/share/are/co/cool-stuff'. If I did happen to notice the expansion, and only typed '/ushco', the dialog would expand it correctly, but when I hit enter, I get an error that says something like, "'/usr/share/co' does not exist".

Apparently the newest version of GTK+ (2.10) addresses some of these issues, but it's not available in Debian yet.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Stephens      Computer Systems Analyst I    School of Medicine