Phil Pennock wrote:
On 2006-08-11 at 12:07 +0300, Yossi Kreinin wrote:

In our network, home directories are mounted at /homes. Now supposed someone wants to open a program in the Green Hills MULTI debugger. The file selection dialog won't expand ~someone, so you have to type /homes/someone. When the dialog sees /homes though, it helpfully tries to list the directory, and almost always hangs up with the help of stale NFS file handles.

The solution to this problem is typing the pathname in portions, as in "omes/someone", then going back and prepending "/h".

The solution to this surely is to fix amd.conf to turn off browsing the
top-level mount-point /homes, so that readdir() will only show those
which have been already mounted.

The stat(), or implicit reference in a filename lookup, should populate
it on-demand, much as for various /dev/ filesystems, or places where
.snapshot only becomes visible when stat()d, or those old portal
filesystems which let you put the hostname in as a directory name.

Thanks, I'll forward that to our sysadmins. I still think my solution has some
important advantages, such as portability across incompatibly misconfigured
systems.

Yossi