On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:54:20PM -0600, Peter da Silva wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2006, at 11:24 AM, David Cantrell wrote:
> >A general purpose language which can't be used in different ways to
> >solve different problems is not fit for purpose.
>
> In Perl, "there's more than one way to do it" does not mean "Perl can
> be used in different ways to solve different problems", it means "Perl
> has multiple redundant syntaxes for writing the exact same code to
> solve the same problem for the same purpose".
>
> Allowing "if" and "unless" does not increase the expressive power of
> Perl one jot not tittle. It just increases the complexity. But just to
> make it really hateful, there's no way to write a "switch" statement in
> Perl that doesn't step on some bit of syntax somewhere else in the
> language.

Why stop at 'if' and 'unless'? Given a 'while', why bother having a 'for'?
Heck, given 'goto' and 'if', why have any looping construct?

Or is having a 'for' while having a 'while' ok because C has it, but
having an 'unless' next to an 'if' not because Perl has it?

If I wanted just one way of doing things, I would have joined the army,
not get involved in computers.

Abigail