On Dec 10, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Martin Ebourne wrote:

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 15:29 -0600, Peter da Silva wrote:
tcsh is hateful because csh is hateful as a scripting language.

As an interactive shell it's no more hateful than any other.

That unfortunately is a flawed argument.

As long as tcsh exists and people use it, people will write scripts in
it.

And, as I obviously agree, that's hateful.

The silver lining to this cloud of hate is that it sucks so badly as a scripting language that only determined idiots will continue to do so, and frankly if someone is so stupid as to write a script in tcsh it's really unlikely that they're going to be writing a script I want to use.

zsh is *more* hateful than tcsh because the impact on non-zsh users of zsh scripts is just as hateful as the impact of tcsh scripts on non-tcsh users, but unlike tcsh the guy writing the script doesn't *also* suffer.

If you use a different shell for interactive use than scripting its just
another unnecessary language to learn, and occasional users will end up
making stupid mistakes when they keep switching between the two.

Yeh, that's hateful too. So's adding command-line editing as an afterthought to the Bourne or Korn shells. They all suck. That's because they're software.