Timothy Knox wrote:

Sometimes there is /usr/bin/env but not /bin/env. Turtles all the
way down.

Not just sometimes. On the FreeBSD box I happen to do my email on, it's
/usr/bin/env. People who only deal with a few (or one) flavour of Unix
think portability is simple (just do it the way (my) Unix does it). I work
in Linux (RHEL4 clone), Solaris (9, 10), and Cygwin/Windows. *sigh* Oh, and
I forgot FreeBSD. And Mac OS X.

"Consistency? Hah! Simplicity? Hah! A Jedi craves not these things!"

Pfui!

I see a start-up: development, maintainance and distribution of whereisenvdamnit. Usage example: #!/bin/whereisenvdamnit env tcsh. The key technology is a network of professional killers hunting down losers who place whereisenv is /usr/bin/, /loser/bin and the like.

We could make a fortune!

I wonder if those systems where you can't have long #! lines are still around though. That could jeopardize the success of the enterprise.