That is, the Ctrl-W shortcut now has the same demented behaviour
that the close-tab button always had: when there's only one tab
left, Ctrl-W closes the tab AND THEN OPENS A NEW ONE WITH THE
HOMEPAGE!! RAAAAHHH! DIE!! Die, dammit, and get outta my face!
Really, it's very hard to excite me past my usual "grumpy crank"
level of annoyance, but the past couple of months, even though I
only used Firefox 2 lightly (my main machine is still at 1.5.x),
the frustration caused by this deranged behaviour has driven me
batty.

It doesn't help you, but the OS X version handles this correctly.

--

Jeremy Weathers

Sony-Ericsson: We put the "slow" in
"Damn, this crappy phone is slow!"