I forgot this mailing list existed until I received the recent messages.
It's good timing too, because I feel a need to rant.

I hate Siebel. Plain and simple.

For those who forget, Siebel is an application development framework used in
creating CRM applications. In other words the software that large call
centers and client-facing businesses use. McAfee uses it for their support
website, etc.

Siebel is an octopus of sorts; it has hooks at the Web layer, the
application layer and the database layer. It's designed around a true 3-tier
architecture.

I work for a government contractor and we recently endeavored a major
release and some OS upgrades, including some patches to iPlanet, etc.

With increased load after the upgrades we ran into limitations of the Siebel
software. Siebel never told us that their internal load balancing between
the web servers and application servers cannot scale beyond 10 different
application servers. They left us thinking that it could scale to 36
application servers and the software and default configuration files are
designed around this 36 server limit. After opening a severity one support
ticket and waiting FOUR WEEKS we finally received a response that our
architecture was invalid; an architecture that they validated two years
prior. Meanwhile, during this four week period we rolled back OS patches,
changed configurations, and yelled and debated. As a larger IT shop we have
procedures for vetting patches and system changes and frankly, if any of
those changes caused this error all of our processes and procedures would be
for nil.

Extraordinarily frustrating.