So, here I am, trying out Ubuntu since I've heard it's all "easy to
administer". I love the control Gentoo gives me, but I don't need it
everywhere, right? More work for not much benefit, I think.

After a few days of wrestling with Ubuntu's installer (which is so
simple that if even the slightest thing goes wrong, it chokes and
doesn't bother to inform the user of this, even in "expert" mode), I'm
able to get it installed and booting. "Now comes the easy
administration!", I think.

Then I meet Ubuntu's update-grub. update-grub is a handy-dandy script
which edits your grub/menu.lst when you, say, install a new kernel.
Useful, huh? Except it seems to be putting in some options I don't like:
quiet and splash.

So I edit it out. Huh, it's put them back? Okay, let's check the
manpage. Okay, it mentions a bunch of weird commented out options which
it's then going to parse. It doesn't mention the one I need to change,
but there's defoptions in the file, and it's all changed and happylike.

Except that it's back when I run it again. Not only is it back, but it
has handily edited defoptions for me to have splash and quiet in them.
YOU WILL HAVE THESE OPTIONS. COMPLY. COMPLY.

The script is a hackish shell monstrosity which repeatedly parses the
doubly-commented options, adds their values to some defaults which you
can't configure, and then resets every option back to whatever idiotic
defaults someone out there thinks that everyone who runs Ubuntu should
use, whether they want to or not.

Who writes this shit? Whatever happened to the idea of configuration
files being things that users edited, and programs followed?

--
<^ " Michael Leuchtenburg  |  http://slashhome.org/ " +73