Lots of programs quote some of the characters of their input strings. A subset of those unquote the characters in their output. This message is about the other subset.

I keep getting auto-reply messages saying something like this:

 I can't answer the message (\your software sucks) right now because...

Or something. I wonder what inserts that backslash. I'm pretty sure I've seen it
from people reading their mail using both Outlook/Windows and Thunderbird/Linux.
Is it done at the server side, or is it some brain-crippled "de facto standard" like the BSD mailbox format responsible for all the >From mail I get?

The best kind of programs are the ones that spit their quoting back at you, and then treat it as input and quote it *again*. For example, I've seen an "issue tracking system" where bug descriptions look like this:

 Edit 1: Why can\'t you handle quoting properly?
 Edit 2: Why can\\'t you handle quoting properly?
 Edit 3: Why can\\\'t you handle quoting properly?