I, like all RIGHT and PROPER people, use a vi-derivative for my coding,
as only terrrrrrrrsts, paedos, and smokers use emacs.  Specifically, I'm
using vim 7.0.

I recently intsalled a shiny new Debian Etch on my desktop at work.
After a little fiddling with my ~/.vimrc it does exactly what I want
with things like syntax highlighting, folding, indentation and so on.

I also installed a shiny new Debian Etch in a virtual machine that I'm
going to use to develop some code in.  After exactly the same fiddling
with my ~/.vimrc there it most certainly does *not* do what I want.  So
I consulted the fine manual, which told me to do, umm, exactly what I
had done.  Obviously, there's a difference in the configuration
*somewhere* but determining precisely where all the configuration lives
is Hard if all you've got is the manpages.

I had to use strace, awk, md5sum and diff.  To configure an editor.

[goes to fetch Mr. Stabby]

" In My Egotistical Opinion, most people's ... programs should be
  indented six feet downward and covered with dirt. "
      --Blair P. Houghton