I apologise on 2 counts, one for replying to such an old post, and secondly
for using Outlook. (Work has foisted it on me, since we're in the middle of
a rather large upgrade to Exchange (So I'm using it to access my home imap
spool too, since, well, why not. Turns out it's not actually a bad imap mail
client to my surprise.. I digress).

Anyway, I'll apologise again - for 'defending' IE. I was recently shown how
to turn off those god-awful 'error' messages:

Tools
 ->Internet Options
 ->Advanced tab
 ->Browsing section
 ->Uncheck "Show friendly HTTP error messages"
 --> OH GOD SWEET error messages!

Mike.