I've been (un)fortunate this summer to do a lot of travelling this summer.
Most places that I've stayed has some kind of hotspot login where any
attempt to visit a website goes to a special login screen and then redirects
you do the website once you've logged in.

The hate these things inspire are so numerous. Among them:

* Never remembering your MAC address, so every friggin time you turn your
  laptop on, you have to login again, or go to a different room in the
  building;

* Passwords that contain "O" or "0", or "l" or "1", etc, so you have to try
  every combination from your [expletive] printout;

* Systems that have a short and stupid expiration time (like having to get a
  new username/password every 24 hours from the registration desk) when they
  *know* how long you're to be staying;

* Requirement of JavaScript for the login page to work (a minor nuisance if
  you use NoScript on Firefox);

* Systems that require Internet Explorer (ok, this was a hotel in London
  about three years ago, but I'd bet the same system is still in use...)

The hate is as thick as the humidity here.

Rob