On 27-Sep-2007, at 13:03, demerphq wrote:
I don't buy the "its all the same" argument. Its not. Tags are
containers which can contain other containers, attributes are inherent
properties of the tag to which they belong.

Both are part of the contents of the tag.

I will agree that you shouldn't shove complex structure inside an attribute, and whoever came up with the "style=" attribute in HTML needs to be taught a lesson using red hot cast iron angle brackets, but for things that can be treated lexically as attributes there's no point wasting space making them separate tags.

I realize that there are people who think it's important that object methods and object variables are different things and should have different syntax, or that it's actually a good thing that sockets are not in the file system or that System V shared memory segments are not in the file system, or that it's a good thing that sockets and file descriptors in Windows are distinct, or that it really matters whether my email address looks like "Peter da Silva <pe...@taronga.com>" instead of "pe...@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)". But I am not one of them. I don't even think distinguishing objects and classes was a bright idea.