* Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net> [2007-09-28 02:40]:
> we were talking about the abomination of XML that was designed
> by taking SGML, pulling anything designed to make it human or
> author friendly out, then claiming that this was all done for
> the best because we can much better afford to spend human brain
> "cycles" than a few CPU cycles dealing with the added
> complexity.

Err, was there ever a complete implementation of SGML? No? For a
reason.

Not that I would have minded *some* of the minimisation shortcuts
of SGML, mind.

Though, being able to verify well-formedness of a document without
having a schema is a huge win, because it drastically lowers the
barrier to getting ad-hoc work done. That alone is in conflict
with many syntactic shortcuts.

Also if you insist on using all shortcuts available in full SGML
you can easily produce a cryptic document that a human has
trouble reading too.

I really wish they had kept at least the `</>` shortcut, though.
Plus a few others that don't conflict with schemaless well-
formedness checking, like whatever it was that closes the last
open tag and opens a new one with the same name, which is nice
for writing sequences of list items or paragraphs or such.

Regards,