Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
Benjamin Reed wrote:

Spoken like a true developer with a Linux-centric worldview.  Try
porting your non-libtool-using, non-pkgconfig-using programs to AIX, Mac
OS X, VMS, etc.  :P

You are kidding, right?  Have you actually tried building anything
large enough to warrant libtool somewhere not in Linux?  In general
the libtool/pkgconfig/autoconf/the usual suspects have a bad (terminal?)
case of "maybe in the early nineties we actually cared about multiple
operating systems, but since Linux came along, we can be as bigoted
about it as Windows people are about Windows".  To quote A. Pagaltzis:
"It's portable -- it works on Debian *and* RedHat!"

Quite. I still remember building php (or something outlandish like that) on FreeBSD. I finally had to edit some monstrous shell script to get the right command-line switches passed to the linker (since it was being built through ports and I couldn't just DIY).

Pain.