----- Forwarded message from Hildo Biersma <hildo.bier...@gmail.com> -----

From: Hildo Biersma <hildo.bier...@gmail.com>

I'd like to second this.  I work in a company that runs applications
from a network filesystem, with the interesting property that the
install location is not the same as the runtime location. (Making
something available involves taking a snapshot of the install tree and
then mounting a read-only copy in a different location.)

We've had no end of trouble with applications that compile/relink
during the install phase (especially if libtool is involved).   For
exanple,  we really need to be able to set the RPATH to be different
from the install path.  Applications that create a build tree that
looks like the install tree, and then just copy those files during the
install phase, tend to work much better in our environment.