On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:20:42PM +0000, Aaron Crane wrote:
> Jeremy Stephens writes:
> > Why is the UPDATE syntax so different from INSERT?  If I'm
> > constructing a SQL statement to insert or update based on the
> > existence of a row in some code, I have to have two completely
> > different cases to handle it.  What were the SQL creators thinking?
>
> I've always been a particular un-fan of the way that `DELETE FROM
> table_name` is a proper prefix of `DELETE FROM table_name WHERE
> expression` (and similarly for `UPDATE`).

Hit return at the wrong time and ...

It's like Edmund von der Burg's story that now he always types

/some/path/he/is/interested/in <Control A> rm -rf

since the time a cat managed to arrive on the keyboard just after the first
slash had been typed in rm -rf /some/path/he/is/interested/in

Nicholas Clark