* Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com> [2008-01-13 17:50]:
> Peter da Silva wrote:
> > I tried that for a while, but even *I* couldn't keep track of
> > what version numbers meant, and it was my own project.
> >
> > If the current version is 1.5.4 and the guy's running 1.5.2
> > that tells me more than if the current version's 20070620 and
> > the guy's running 19990114.
>
> It tells you that it's eight years old, and that's concrete
> information. You know that eight years is a damn long time in
> software years and it's a flag that you should probably look
> into it.  It's not much, but it's something.
>
> What does 1.5.4 vs 1.5.2 really tell you?

Everything, if *I* am the one who *minted* those version numbers,
as per the case that Peter mentioned. And it tells me just as
much if I am one of many others who have some knowledge about
what happened in a particular version. It’s much easier for the
maintainer to remember 2.4.10 as unusual than 20010923.

> Oooh, and then there's the odd/even alpha/release fun. Now is
> 1.4.6 newer than 1.5.1? Could be! Can you safely use 1.5.1? Who
> knows? Haha, have fun figuring it out, sucker!

A user sends me a bug report for 20010923. Hmm, was that a
release in the stable branch or in the devel branch? Who
remembers? Crap, let me dig through the metadata records to find
out.

> The reality is in the mind of the person who did the release.

Exactly. If I am the person who is doing the release, version
numbers are much more memorable than dates.

> You can't resolve that difference of visibility and
> expectations between author and user, so I'm leaving the game.

Pick your poison. All approaches suck.

Regards,