I hate that it's 2008 and we're still signing documents with a pen. Let me explain.

I'm working out the final details of a contract which involves signing a very simple NDA. The code is all public so the NDA is a mere formality. They took a PDF and printed it. Then they signed it. Then they scanned it. Then they emailed it to us to sign.

We printed it. Then we crossed out a few objectionable clauses. We signed it and scanned it back in. The scan went to an office server. It was then emailed back to us and we will then email it off to the client who will hopefully accept it. If they don't we start this ridiculous process of transferring paper to bits to paper to bits all over again.

It's not like we haven't had have secure, cheap digital signature technology for decades now. It's not like everyone with a PC, scanner and printer doesn't have the technology to forge a handwritten signature.

--
101. I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon.
    -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army