On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:32 AM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

Joshua Juran wrote:
Remember waiting several minutes for the Finder to figure out that the AppleShare server is GONE, and it's NOT coming back? Well, lose a Bluetooth peer and you get to wait FOREVER.
Or until you reboot.

That's funny because just an hour ago I woke my laptop up from sleep and made the horrible mistake of unmounting an sshfs volume that was tunneled through a now defunct ssh tunnel. Beachball of death.

In Mac OS 9 you'd get a wristwatch. In black and white only. If you were lucky, it was animated. Fortunately, we've advanced beyond such primitive systems.

Everything locked up except for some inexplicable reason I could still move windows around.

Cocoa applications get that 'for free'.

Josh