On 2008-04-01, at 17:16, Nicholas Clark wrote:
What's hateful about rsync?

Unless someone has done a complete rewrite from scratch in the past couple of years...

The protocol is a horrible mishmash. The only spec is the code.

There isn't (or wasn't) any stream mode, so you can't use the equivalent of "rsync ... - | ssh foo rsync -", instead you have magic syntax to specify rsh/ssh connections and environment variables to feed stuff through.

When you need to make up new file syntax with : and :: for a UNIX program that's in the end talking over a single stream, then something's fundamentally wrong.

There's all kinds of weirdness that makes it a pain to implement on file systems that don't look a lot like UFS... for example like the file ID in stream is the inode number, and on HFS the data and resource forks of the file have the same inode number, so getting to to behave acceptably on OS X was a right pain. I don't recall the problems I was having when I was using it between a Tru64 box using AdvFS and a FreeBSD box using a NetApp with WAFL as the storage... but they weren't pleasant there either.

It's got too many options for dealing with symlinks, none of which ever seem to be what I want to do.

I've forgotten a lot of the other hate, because I haven't had to push the envelope with it in a while. I don't want to try and recall it.