On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 05:16:19PM -0700, Joshua Juran wrote:
> This wouldn't need to be a problem if the image decoder ran in a
> separate process with limited privileges.

a (possibly buggy) heirarchy of priviliged process spaces and message
passing doesn't fix sucking software with poor buffer handling.  it just
mitigates the bad behavior.

the fact that it's not feasable (or even possible?) to run applications
in a single memory space with no memory protections beyond those
necessary for implementing virtual memory and paging is hateable.  (and
even the virtual memory stuff is debatable...  why are you so bloated,
software?)

I hate that the proposed solution to poor software is usually more
software.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agr...@poofygoof.com