Yoz Grahame wrote:
But what I would *like* it to do, in such instances
where I'm specifically downloading for Opening rather than Saving, is
for the document to be saved in a temporary cache that gets cleaned
out automatically. (And it seemed that FF2/Win was doing that just
fine)

Well, it mostly does the same as all the other Windows programs and dumps stuff in %TEMP%. Which gets cleaned out a lot less often than one might hope. Several GB of random "temporary" junk can accumulate there over the years, and it's a lot less than /tmp clutter.

But that's an entirely different hate.