On 2008-10-01, at 12:49, David King wrote:
Sadly, Apple decided that disk images are the bestest way to distribute
software and so effectively replicates this hate.

How so? They don't copy the contents of the DMG while mounting it, as far as I can tell.

Because after downloading the disk image, you have to mount it and copy the application out of it.

After downloading a zip file, you have to unzip it and copy the application out of it or run the installer, and the installer is more likely to be there, and it's more likely to be hateful (well, more hateful, there are no installers that aren't hateful).

At least Windows copies it for you, on the Mac you have to do it yourself

Windows copies it an extra unnecessary time. And And it copies it to a place you can't control. It took me several tries once to figure out why I couldn't download a file to D: when I had plenty of space in D: because it was too big for C:.

On the Mac you mount the disk image, and you only copy out of it what you need.