On 2008-12-31 at 01:16 +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> Yes, that's right, in zsh it's a negative option, and rmstartwait goes
> one even better than that:
>
> RM_STAR_SILENT (-H) <K> <S>
>      Do not query the user before executing `rm *' or `rm path/*'.

For reference for the non-zsh folks: that's a command-line option -H to
activate this option (turn off the prompt/warning) and a note that in
ksh and sh emulation modes this is automatically on (thus silent).

In zsh, it's not for the built-in rm, it's a pre-check before running
the normal rm.  (The "built-in" is actually dynamically loaded from
zsh/files which is a bunch of emergency commands, predating busybox,
rather than POSIX-compatible implementations; was rather useful recently
when I managed to hose a system so that exec() couldn't work but I could
still load dynamic modules).

The prompting isn't new; I think it's been there for at least a decade.
Hrm, was present in rev 1.1 in the current CVS, so was there in 1999.

> RM_STAR_WAIT
>      If querying the user before executing `rm *' or `rm path/*', first
>      wait ten seconds and ignore anything typed in that time.  This
>      avoids the problem of reflexively answering `yes' to the query
>      when one didn't really mean it.  The wait and query can always be
>      avoided by expanding the `*' in ZLE (with tab).

The lack of adornments to the name there indicates that this behaviour
is *not* turned on by default -- the user has to explicitly request this
behaviour.  Nobody on zsh-devel is ever likely to force this on for
everyone, that would be ... well, too hateful.

-Phil