Gerry Lawrence writes:

> > There are OSes which have this set by default?
>
> I love Suse for just about everything but their screwup of tcsh is
> unconscionable.

Is tcsh the default shell in Suse?

> It may not be suse, it may be the tcsh group, I don't know.

If so, then it appears that either Debian or Ubuntu remove it.

> > Actually my attempt at seeing it in action failed:
> >
> >   $ mkdir new
> >   $ cd new
> >   $ tcsh
> >   % touch 1 2 3 4 5
> >   % ls
> >   1 2 3 4 5
> >   % setenv rmstar
> >   % rm *
> >   % ls
> >   % exit
> >   $
> >
> > -- which is itself hateful.  What did I miss?

What I missed is that this is a shell variable, not an environment
variable, so it needs setting with set, not setenv.  I'm still claiming
that as hateful, for forcing me to remember the difference.

Smylers