On Mar 4, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Joshua Juran wrote:

On Mar 4, 2009, at 4:56 AM, Peter da Silva wrote:

My Macbook Pro just piped up and started complaining about the temperature. Both cores running at 80%, for I don't know how long. So I go to see who's responsible. Safari. Why? Well, because I don't have a Flashblock for Safari (need to look for that again).

Hidden away in the tabs was one that had a flash applet in the corner of the screen rendering a few characters of the page title scrolling by in a cool looking "flipped corner", reflected at a funky angle so it actually had to rotate and antialias every letter. If that tab wasn't the active tab it apparently went into overdrive or something.

I've seen similar things with DHTML, AJAX, Java, every kind of "active content" there is.

Incidentally, it appears that Google News has stopped auto- updating. This wasn't using a lot of CPU time, but it did have the irritation that it trashed any embedded video you might have been watching. I'm glad to see it go.

Actually, I think they just moved the script. I had to enable a new subdomain in NoScript to get Google News embedded videos to play again, and now auto-refresh occurs as well. And it just reloaded in mid-video. Hate.

Google Web apps have a solid record of actually becoming *more usable* over time.

By the way, I wasn't counting YouTube.

Josh

P.S.  Apple's spelling dictionary has never heard of a 'subdomain'.