I have a Sun V240.  God help me, I know, but I have one.

It's going flakey, in that one of the fans that force air through
one of the CPU heatsinks is failing.

(Sun hate: so I call up my hardware provider and ask for a
replacement.  Their FIRST answer is that the fans, heatsinks, CPUs
and mainboard are all sold as a single unit.  Fuck off, I say, I just
want a fan.  Well maybe we can find a fan and heatsink assembly.
$400, and it will take us a week to get it to you.  No, I'm not
kidding.)

Anyways.

It is a good thing I configered the "SC" on this V240 so it can
send me emails to tell me that something is broken.  But for some
reason, Sun decided that the most important information should
be the last line of the email message.  And to make everything
friendly, there's gratuitous white space so we don't have to
strain our eyes parsing the message.

So once an hour, I get an email with a helpful title of "System Alert
from bork" formatted like this:

<cr>
<cr>
 System Event Recorded By SC:

 HostID:         "12344321"

 Event:          "00040066"

 Time:           "THU MAR 26 13:26:55 2009"

 Customer Info:  "Random Sun V240"

 Hostname:       "bork"

 SC IP Address:  "10.1.9.1"

 Message:        "MAJOR: CPU_FAN @ MB.P0.F1.RS has FAILED."

It's the two blank lines at the top of the email that kill me every time.

But on EVERY email system I have (Outlook, Mutt, Blackberry), the
"Message" is below the fold.  Which means that EVERY hour I have to
select the message, then page down, just so I'm sure that it's only
MB.P0.F1.RS that has failed and not MB.P1.F1.RS (which would be bad)
or MB.P0.F0.RS (which would be worse).

Why can't we have informative subjects like "bork:SC: CPU_FAN @
MB.P0.F1.RS has FAILED"?  Or at least put the "Message" at the
top of the email!

Hate.

--
 /\oo/\