* Joshua Juran <jju...@gmail.com> [2009-07-08 05:30]:
> On Jul 7, 2009, at 9:48 AM, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Using a menu or selecting text doesn't screw around with
> > window z-order.
>
> Why is this important?

Maybe because if the window were to be raised it would cover some
part of another window where I'll want to click immediately
afterwards? Hard to image such a situation, I know.

> Can you point me to the research showing the effect this has on
> user efficiency, or failing that, at least a design document
> comparable to Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for the
> Macintosh? Or is this just an oral tradition passed on by those
> with their GUI well poisoned by X11, who then complain when
> everybody else does it differently?

Yeah, heaven forbid that people might be different from each
other and that the X11 way of doing things might actually suit
some people better than the Apple way. Even though Apple
specifically *don't* try to please everyone. And even if we
grant that their way is better for the *majority*.

This is hates-software; worship-apple is over there. ---->

Regards,