On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:30:22PM +0100, Matthew King wrote:
> "Aaron J. Grier" <agr...@poofygoof.com> writes:
> > the point of autotools is to lower the barriers to write portable
> > software.  so why is so much autotools software non-portable?
>
> Much as autotools suck, they are still better than most alternatives.
> Autotools software is non-portable largely because people skim through
> the barely-sufficient documentation and fail to use the tools
> properly.
>
> But enough of that; hates-people is elsewhere.

I was asking a rhetorical question... this is hates-software, after all.

blaming people for having trouble using autotools effectively is beside
the point: I hate autotools for being difficult to use in the first
place.  that it misleads its users into an illusion of portability is
like a hate netting around a big chunk of hate-gras.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agr...@poofygoof.com