Then I found the magic tickbox. If you click on the iPod and then click the 'settings' tab, there's a 'Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC' option. My music is now copying.

Just to add hate, that option is only arbitrarily available - some models you can have it (such as the shuffle and my old Motorola SLVR), and some you can't - seeming everything else. I would love to be able to check that box for my iPhone, but I can't. I have most of my music in lossless format, so I have to choose between manually converting, then copying, then deleting or sucking up all the space on my iPhone.

d.