On Sep 24, 2010, at 1:11 AM, Numien wrote:

On 24/09/10 04:03 AM, Roger Burton West wrote:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 08:59:53AM +0100, Bob Walker wrote:

I recently found that in our work software that even though we use
email addresses as the username we dont actually check this properly so an.exam...@example.com and an.exam...@example.com can be different
users.  This has confused users several times.

But they can.

Not that anyone does it, but the standard supports it.

Yes, but knowing the trend in case-sensitivity, an.exam...@example.com
is likely also not the same as an.exam...@example.com... which should be.

Domain names are case-insensitive.

Network Solutions (and the InterNIC before it) has had the poor taste to write domains in all uppercase, e.g. jju...@gmail.com, as if the Internet had started on VMS rather than Unix. Except they don't upcase the local part of email addresses, so at least it's legal.

Josh