On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:46:44 +0000, Aaron Crane
<hate...@aaroncrane.co.uk> wrote:

> H.Merijn Brand <h.m.br...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > # yast2 sw_single
> > Absolute path to 'yast2' is '/sbin/yast2', so running it may require
> > superuser privileges (eg. root).
>
> I entirely agree that this is utterly hateful.  (For one thing, the
> idea that there's a strong relationship between living in a */sbin
> directory and requiring superuser privileges is clearly nonsense.)
>
> But the Bash source doesn't seem to contain relevant chunks of that
> message, so I fear that, if you want to correctly apportion blame, you
> should probably look elsewhere.  If I wanted to do that myself, I'd
> start by seeing if SUSE (Yast is a SUSE-ism, right?) has a custom Bash
> patch which adds that behaviour.  But I think doing so would probably
> just expose me to more software hatefulness, so I'm not going to
> bother.

OpenSUSE 11.2

For all below the working directory is /tmp and I am root

bash# vgscan
Absolute path to 'vgscan' is '/sbin/vgscan', so running it may require
superuser privileges (eg. root).

csh# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...

tcsh# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...

sh> vgscan
sh: vgscan: command not found

ksh# vgscan
ksh: vgscan: not found [No such file or directory]

zsh# vgscan
zsh: command not found: vgscan

Program 'vgscan' is present in package 'lvm2', which is installed on your
system.

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.12 and porting perl5.13.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,