I don't have a strong opinion on this, but find that the core of this problem
seems to be a lack of simple documentation about the required jars to run a
client.  The practice of adding jars until no longer getting CNFE would be
solved with documentation stating which are client-dependent jars.

What exactly is the goal?  Is it to prevent this CNFE trial-and-error practice?
 Is it to make it so clients only need a single jar?  Or is it to make a
single, lightweight jar that only works for the client?

Is there a lot of added value by having a single, client-only jar vs a single
jar that works for client and server?

I'm all for making it easier for users, so if users say this would be helpful
then we should do something.  Code separation is also not a bad thing.  I just
never liked the hadoop separation so I don't want to make things actually more
complex in the process.

JG