Thanks Andrew for your comments.  From the response seems  like nobody
has tried to do this ( starting/shutting-down ec2-clusters with the
same EBS-backed-hdfs-hbase  data ).  It also seem to require some
automated  scripts to dynamically attach the EBS drives one to each
slave.

Do we have anything from Cloudera folks in this regard yet ?

-Prasen