As far as I know, caret5's multi-fiducial mapping is volume->surface rahter
than surface->volume.

The caret_command method works, but you'll need to convert HCP surf.gii ->
caret5 coord/topo (caret_command -file-convert -sc …).  And your label.gii or
func.gii will need to be converted, too (caret_command -file-convert
-format-convert BINARY …).