Hi Tzvetan,

It sounds you want to do a beamformer type of source reconstruction using
source positions defined on a 3D grid. You could use the provided data for
this, where the individual grids are in register with a grid in normalised
volume. Assuming you are doing all in FieldTrip anyway, you could interpolate
the volumetric atlas onto one of the template grids (which are part of the
software release, but can also be found in FieldTrip), which will give you the
anatomical labelling for each of your beamformer’s dipole positions right away.
Alternatively, if you would really want to create your own 3D-grid, you should
plug in the appropriate transformation matrix from the transform text-file into
the anatomical MR-structure. A different route altogether, and this is what the
HC-consortium is pushing for, is to work in surface-registered space. This does
much more credit to the analysis of the data from the haemodynamic and
structural modalities. Although it’s still an open question whether MEG in
itself will benefit from a surface-based analysis (when using beamformers), you
could consider using the cortical sheet source models, in combination with an
anatomical labeling defined on the surface (e.g. the Conte69 atlas). Of note,
if you were working on the surface, you could benefit from any cool
parcellation schemes that may be coming out of the consortium soon.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs