Hi Stuart,

I have fewer answers than questions, but it seems like at the end of this, you
want your source (fsaverage) parcellation mapped onto the HCP subjects'
surfaces, and then projected from surface to volume (subject's orig/magnet
space or MNINonlinear stereotaxic space?).

The HCP pipeline uses the Freesurfer ?h.sphere.reg to get surface data onto
fs_LR mesh:

lh: freesurfer_native_mesh -> fsaverage.left -> fs_LR (32k or 164k) mesh
rh: freesurfer_native_mesh -> fsaverage.right -> fs_LR (32k or 164k) mesh

Note that fsaverage left and right hem meshes are not in register with one
another (across hemispheres -- vertex i on the left is probably nowhere near
vertex i on the right hem).  In the fs_LR standard mesh, left and right hems
are in register with one another.

It sounds like you have an annotation on the fsaverage mesh.  It seems in
principle possible to get your annotation, which is a single, atlas-like
parcellation that will be used across HCP subjects, onto the fs_LR mesh, and
then you could use the subjects' fs_LR white, midthickness, or pial surface to
project the annotation/label to volume somehow, but I don't know how those
freesurfer commands work or what they need.  You can mris_convert from GIFTI to
Freesurfer format, if needed.

It might help to zoom out a bit more, though:  What do you plan to do with the
resulting individual label volumes?

Donna