From: Joelle Zimmermann <joelle.t.zimmerm...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:40 PM
To: Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu>
Cc: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org" <hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] CIFTI and NIFTI -parcellating rfMRI

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response. Within the Resting State fMRI 1 preprocessed in the 500 Subjects + MEG2, I see the rfMRI_REST1_LR.nii.gz, which I presume is the Nifti-1 data. And then I see an rfMRI_REST1_LR_Atlas.dtseries.nii  - Is that the dtseries.nii Cifti you refer to? Could you explain a bit more about what's special about the Cifti file? I understand it Cifti is able to handle  surface vertices and subcortical voxels in one file (i.e. gray ordinates).

My ultimate goal is to parcellate the brain into cortical regions of interest, in order to ultimately look at regional functional connectivity matrices. Do I need the dtseries.nii cifti for that? It seems like the advantage of that is having surface vertices (i.e. knowing the precise shape of the surface of the brain) - which I don't think I need for a standard FC matrix...

Thanks,
Joelle